Wednesday, December 9, 2020

In the beginning...

Originally posted 4/2007

 

I certainly picked a strange time to begin a blog. It is Easter vacation for my children, and I am beginning to feel the veins in my neck swell from the strain... For starters, my nine year old agreed to match up our socks and put them away; not an easy task, considering our family size. She arose to the challenge however, only to surrender in a fit of tension-releasing giggles as she threw them at her brothers. Then my oldest skipped out on her play practice because she could not pull herself away from her book, while my second oldest worked on perfecting his teenage moodiness, and argued with everyone in sight. The middle boys, however, were little trouble as they attempted to play video games all day, but my second youngest insisted on staying in his pajamas and finally got dressed just in time for dinner. My one year old then decided that he was too old to sit in his high chair to eat his dinner and screamed until he was allowed to sit on the bench with the rest of his siblings. For most of the day I felt as if I was under attack by the Little People. This one wanted to eat, the other wanted to be read to, while that one wanted to show me his new dance. Every one of them seemed to have swallowed a whole gallon of coffee. Man, were they wired! They jumped on furniture,jiggled, squirmed, fought, and made more messes than they could ever clean up on their own. If there was any way to clone myself in a hurry, perhaps things would have turned out differently. Instead, the only me that my family had to turn to was the perfect model of impatience, complete with a healthy set of lungs to boot. (sigh...) I always squirm when people respond to the news of my large family with "Wow, you must have a lot of patience". If they only knew... Someone once said that the beautiful thing about children is that no matter how badly we parents mess up today, we will most assuredly get a chance to try again tomorrow. There are three more days in Easter vacation, so it looks like I will have plenty of opportunities!

No comments: